Psychiatric RN | Nights
Department: Behavioral Medicine
Type: Full Time
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Our community hospital in sunny New Mexico is paying a $15k sign-on bonus to Experienced Psychiatric RN applicants.
Relocation assistance is also available
Our short application process takes less than 3 minutes on your phone, tablet or computer.
Watch this video to know WHO IS GERALD CHAMPION
About the Behavioral Medicine Department
Due to the recent expansion of our Behavioral Medicine program from 17 to 38 beds, additional RNs are needed to staff our behavioral medicine wing’s two units: Adult/Military and Geropsych.
Adult/Military: With two nearby military bases, we offer PTSD treatment for both active military and civilians. Patients with other mental illnesses are also treated on our unit.
Geropsych: Inpatient and outpatient programs that provide individualized treatment for older adults suffering from mental illness. We also provide ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) when indicated, for patients who have not responded to other treatments.
The acute inpatient unit offers treatment for individuals with a primary psychiatric diagnosis. The intensive outpatient program provides treatment Monday through Friday in the least restrictive environment possible, and patients are able to return to their homes each evening.
With a low 6:1 patient-to-nurse ratio, Psych/Mental Health Nurses have many opportunities to establish caring and therapeutic relationships with their patients.
Nurses and the treatment team work collaboratively to provide patients with individualized treatment plans that may include:
- Individual, Group, and Family Therapy
- Coping - Positive Living Skills, Grief and Loss Resolution
- Medication Management Education
- Health and Wellness Training
- Communication Skills
- Conflict Resolution Skills
- Stress Management
- Assertiveness Training
The Behavioral Medicine Department Video: Zelda Skaife, MSN, RN talks about how has the department grow over the years
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates proficiency and critical thinking in the care of patients and their families/significant others by applying and documenting the nursing process; assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Consults with staff, physicians and management about patient care and unit issues.
- Interprets and implements hospital policies to ensure patient needs are m
- Continues to learn new skills and maintains clinical competency within the department to provide quality, safe nursing care.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide services based on the physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and other related needs of behavioral health patients.
- Approaches patients, visitors, families, and coworkers with dignity and respect. Intervenes when necessary, in order to achieve positive outcomes for all involved.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to mental health and responsibilities associated with these.
- Participates in hospital and department quality activities.
- Nights - 7P - 7A; 1 weekend per month
- Any current US State Nurse license
- Minimum 2 years Behavioral Medicine experience
- Up to $11k sign on depending on experience
- Sign-on bonus is based on a 3 year prorated commitment
- Salary ranges from $24.95 to $37 based on experience, education and certifications
- Relocation assistance includes up to 2 months of temporary housing based on availability
- Receive your BSN, MSN or additional certifications as an employee benefit at certain approved institutions
Recruitment Video: Robert Middleton, CNO of Gerald Champion shares what GCRMC does to make a difference in nurse’s lives
About Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center
Since 1948, Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center (GCRMC) has been a healthcare leader for the citizens of Otero County. Our mission is simple. We want to be the organization where patients choose to come for care, physicians want to practice, and people want to work. Ultimately, we want to be South Central New Mexico’s leading provider of affordable, high-quality healthcare. At GCRMC, we provide an environment for our employees that encourages innovation and dedication, via a participative management system and one that correlates performance and rewards.
GCRMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages diversity in the workplace.